Thursday, October 3, 2013

Why Trophy Wife is Going to Get Canceled - And Why That's Wrong

Anyone watch Trophy Wife last night?

Normally I don't watch episode #2's of new shows. It's the first episode they shoot once they've been picked up, everyone's coming in with their own baggage, things have been reshot, roles recast, everyone had a summer off, maybe they were hoping it wouldn't get picked up, maybe they were, anyway, it's usually a mess.

By accident my DVR recorded episode #2 of Trophy Wife. I said, "eh I'll watch it" then I said: "But what if I do and it's a standardly awful episode #2, and then I won't stick around for #3?" But there was nothing else on, so I pushed play.

And guess what? Not only was it pretty good for a episode #2 of a new show, it was actually just pretty good in general.

It has great actors, top to bottom, a really cute kid, Marcia Gay Harden and Bradley Whitford just being fabulous, and Malin Ackerman is endlessly like-able, and there's some really genuinely sweet moments, and some actually genuinely funny not trite, predictable, overplayed, classless or gross moments.

And I was so excited, and I said, my God, this is really cool, this show actually has potential, I mean with pretty good writers, great actors, imagine where it could go?!

And then I thought, oh right. That means it's going to get canceled. Because that's what this town does. Instead of allowing a show to grow and develop and find its audience, which it will take time for Trophy Wife to find its audience, because it's not hit you over the head "categorize it as this or that kind of show" with "this or that kind of humor" the network isn't "going to get it" and it'll be gone.

Now, look, I really hope for their sake, and the sake of the future of network television that that doesn't happen, but who out there thinks I'm right?

No comments:

Post a Comment